Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Most Filling Oatmeal Breakfast

Update 4-22-13: 
I feel I must say that I NEVER eat like this anymore!  After struggling to lose weight and researching nutrition and food intolerances I've come to the conclusion that this is not a healthy choice for me.  I've discovered that grains tend to aggravate my system, not to mention the carb-induced cravings, and after trying to figure out how to eat "whole foods" and less processed foods - I realized that separating the egg white from the yolk probably isn't the way nature intended.  

I have since adopted a mostly grain-free diet and try to eat whole, less processed foods.  My calories and fat grams have gone up while my carb level has decreased.  I am 10 pounds lighter to date and feel much better overall.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I cook myself for breakfast at least 6 times a week. It's quick and easy to make, filling, tastes good, and at almost 350 calories it fits into the day perfectly.


The Most Filling Oatmeal Breakfast

Ingredients:

1/2 cup dry old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup water
1/4 - 1/2 cup egg whites or 1 egg
1 banana
1/2 cup nonfat milk

Directions:

Combine oatmeal and water in a medium to large microwaveable bowl and microwave for 1 minute.  Stir in egg whites and cook for another minute.  Add mashed or chopped banana and stir in milk.

Sometimes I change it up a bit like adding cinnamon, a handful of chopped walnuts, replace the banana with blueberries or a chopped apple.  And sometimes I'll make a big batch of steel cut oats and freeze individual servings.

There is seriously nothing more filling for so few calories. 
I love cold cereal but I've learned that it's just too easy to pour a second bowl.
(And by second I mean fourth.)


1 comment:

Stephanie Hardin said...

You are hilarious! I love oatmeal and that sounds even more filling.