Thursday, April 19, 2012

Traveling with a Toddler

My plans may have changed but I thought I'd gather up a few of my ideas for any future long trips.  Some of these work great for other things like restaurants, too.  The most important thing is to make these toys different and new for longer lasting attention span when you need it most!
  • Pom Poms in containers
  • Velcro dots on craft sticks (the one thing I remembered from Pinterest) - this was so quick and easy to make
  • Unique toys like a sand timer or something new that the child has never seen before
  • Large buttons and a zipper pouch
Of course I had to think of things that would entertain other than the DVD player or apps on my new Kindle Fire.  (Yes, I talked myself into one simply over the thought of not having enough for him on the trip.  Now I'm feeling really guilty about it.)

So in an effort to provide things of interest I found nothing other than buttons for him to push. 
Here are a few examples:
  • Tape measurer
  • Pedometor
  • Battery-operated tea light
  • Flashlight
  • Music mobile
  • Old (but working) camera


Even buttons on books! 
Lift the flap and feely books are fun, too.


2 comments:

Cassie from True Agape said...

These are some great ideas! We are traveling for the first time with our four month old next month. Although these things won't help us now I am pinning them for later bc we will be traveling then too. Thank you for sharing these ideas! I like the buttons and Velcro sticks.

Anonymous said...

I laugh at myself because I hate it when I read mom's leave negative comments on a post because they saw something they think is dangerous and assume that the writer has no idea that it's dangerous. On the flip side, my first thought when I saw the pom poms and buttons in a zipper bag is that the very first thing my nearly 3 year old would do is to put them in her mouth. EVERY last one. So these aren't good options for US because they present a choking hazard since I don't plan to sit beside her the whole trip (IN to FL this June). However I really like the sand timer idea! I think she would get a kick out of that. A digital camera is a great option too :) Thanks for your post!
Julie