Monday, January 31, 2011

A Monster "Thank You"


As my thank you to everyone that brought gifts for Braden's birthday party I wanted to do something cookie-related so I made Monster Cookies.  (Sorry out-of-towners, you'll have to get by with a blogosphere "thanks"  and the recipe below -the gifts were VERY appreciated!  I amso impressed with your thoughtfullness!) 

I LOVE these cookies and I'm so happy I have a recipe for them now.  You see, when I was little I remember my mom in the kitchen starting to make something and I asked her what it was.  In a teasing kind of way she said, "Monster Coookies!"  The only thing I remember specifically about them is they were made with M&M chocolate candies.  I always wondered if there was such a thing as Monster Cookies or if she was just kidding.  I asked her years ago but she didn't remember.  Well, apparently there is.  Amid the bazillian recipes on the web for these cookies, the following recipe is the one I settled on with my adjustments.  They turned out great!  If you don't want to make them "monster" size, just measure by the tablespoonful and lower the time to about 8 to 10 minutes. (At least, I think.  Better watch them for that "slightly golden" color.  I made mine monster-sized and Warren was really good about tearing off just a piece and eating that...I, however, had to have the WHOLE cookie, so: Baker-Beware!)

Enjoy!

Monster Cookies


1 1/4 cups peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon corn syrup
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup M&M's plain chocolate candy

Heat oven to 350°.  Cream butter, peanut butter and the granulated and brown sugar together.  Add beaten eggs, baking soda, corn syrup and vanilla.  Mix well. Stir in oats, chocolate chips, and M&M's.  Drop by ¼ cup sized balls onto cookie sheets.  Bake 12-15 minutes, or just until slightly golden brown.

No comments: